It
is astonishing to write, but the last day of school has already come and
gone several weeks ago. I must admit that there were days this year when I thought
the school year would never end. Then,
quite suddenly, the last day of school arrived. The students finished their final exams and received their yearbooks. I got a yearbook as well and it
is utterly surreal to see my face featured in the teachers/staff section. In previous yearbooks, I
have always been among the students, so it seems like quite the paradigm shift. I
graduated college a year ago but seeing my face among those of the teachers
makes it much more real.
| A visitor, Musa, Principal Michael and Randa |
The best part of the yearbook is the large section featuring photos of all the events throughout the school year. It
is awesome to look through pictures of events and find my face! It drives home for me the fact that I
have spent an entire academic year volunteering in this particular school. I
was there for the teacher’s breakfast in the early fall. I was there for the
students’ Christmas show and the teacher’s Christmas dinner. I was there when
the students from Norway came on exchange and learned about Democracy in
Israel/Palestine. I was there for every part of the English Bowl. I was there for the important events this spring such as Graduation and the Dabke concert.
Astonishing.
| Sue, Najwa, Me and Pastor Saliba |
I understand better now
the wealth of community that stems from working at a school. Between teachers,
students and staff, a school is like a tiny village. We have shared joys,
sorrows, challenges and successes. I am honored to have taken part, if only for
one year.
After
the students left, the teachers piled into each other’s cars and drove out to a
nearby village for a group lunch. We feasted on salads and meats. We laughed about
the adventures of the year and looked forward to the summer.
There
was a short presentation where I received a small thank you gift from the
teachers and staff. I was unspeakably honored. The lunch was a great opportunity
to say a formal goodbye to the people who have been such an enormous and meaningful part of my
volunteer work experience here. I have learned so much from these incredible individuals. I have learned about teaching and education, but also work environment and community. The importance of coffee hour and a good staff room vibe. I have learned SO much about Palestine and the lived experience of being Palestinian. I have learned about responsibility, humility and generosity.
Thank you for supporting me throughout this academic year and making it possible for me to have this awesome learning experience. I am ever grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment