Thursday, July 14, 2011

Banksy and the Armored Dove

I had the great opportunity recently to meet with a woman from my church who just returned from the West Bank where she was doing work with a peacekeeping organization. She, like everyone I know who has been to Israel/Palestine, came back quite moved by the experience. Along with helpful tips, restaurant recommendations and a couple books to borrow, she gave me the advice to look up Banksy online. Having never heard of Banksy, I was curious to see what she was talking about. I discovered that Banksy is a graffiti artist whose works of street art are not only incredible in their detail, but also controversial and thought-provoking. He seems to be primarily based in England but has traveled to the West Bank and done work on the walls there.  Goodness knows there are plenty of walls in Israel/Palestine...

As I looked through various galleries of Banksy's art (if you're interested, look up http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.html), I was struck by one image in particular, The Armored Dove.

Banksy: Armoured Peace Dove by eddiedangerous.
I have always loved the image of the dove of peace. In the Bible a dove plays a central role in the hope that comes after Noah and the Flood. Additionally, the Spirit of God appears "descending like a dove" and "alighting" upon Jesus after his baptism (Matthew 3:16). Artists, poets and authors have likewise made excellent use of this lovely imagery.
 Picasso's "Dove with Olive Branch (1961)".
The dove of peace is a beautiful symbol, not only of God's love for human beings but of the way in which human beings ought to, and can, love one another and the earth, in peace. I would argue that it is because I hold dearly to the image of the dove that I am so fascinated by Banksy's take on the image.

Perhaps fascinated is not the right word. I am equal parts appalled and intrigued by the image of a dove with olive branch in hand (well, beak...) that is forced to wear protective armor and even so finds itself in the sites of a weapon. Clearly beloved peace is endangered by human conflict. Nonetheless, I think this is still a hopeful symbol. This image points out the state of things as they are now, but believes in a further shore. Hopefully, if the dove of peace is sent out, someday she will come back with an olive branch and the hope of peaceful shores ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment