Sunday, July 3, 2011

And they'll know we are Christians by our love...

This morning in church, we sang a beloved hymn which says that, "they will know we are Christians by our love". As we sang this song, I thought about the packing list I received this past week. I love packing lists. They are a little piece of organization and preparation in the midst of all the unknowns of a new adventure. Although much remains to be seen about the coming year, thanks to my new packing list I do know that I will need a travel alarm clock, a few favorite holiday recipes and warm clothes. Furthermore, the packing information contained a book list! Since this is the first year in 17 years that I will not be a full-time student, I'm glad that I still have a book list! Along with these standard items, the list includes tips to dress conservatively, make a good first impression and avoid being confused for Israeli settlers.

I must sigh at the inevitability that one is judged by one's appearance and clothes. Human beings in general, and women in particular, are far too often judged solely by their appearance, a sad fact which is unfair to everyone; those who (through luck, wealth or incredible hard work) manage to uphold the strict, unforgiving and ever-changing fashions of beauty and even more so to those who do not manage this gargantuan feat. Never-mind that one's appearance says absolutely nothing about the actual content of one's character (hopefully you notice the deliberate reference to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.). For me, in the coming year, the normal importance of correct dress will be increased by the fact that I am unfamiliar with local customs, that it is likely I will stick out in a crowd and the fact that I must be perceived as a good ambassador for everything which I represent in the coming year; the ELCA, the United States, Women, Young Adults, the United Methodist Church, the YAGM program, my hometown, my college, etc. Dressing to make a good impression will be key.

That being said, I really hope that I will also be judged by the content of my character and that others will take the chance to learn that I'm a Christian by my love. Likewise, this hymn serves as a reminder to me that I must judge those I meet not by their appearance and dress but by their actions. Even in judging actions I must be careful since I will be amidst unfamiliar customs. Basically, I hope that I will not judge based on appearances and that in return I will not be judged too quickly. Despite what popular culture says, one's love is shown through actions and not through clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment