I recently read Jonathan Kozol's book Amazing Grace. Kozol
writes about the people, specifically children, that he meets in the
Bronx in the 1990's. He recounts difficult stories of
the pervasive, racist policies that keep families and individuals in the
Bronx in a perpetual cycle of poverty and violence. Unfortunately these
children's stories could belong to children in many places throughout
the world. There are striking similarities between the children of the
Bronx and the children I met in the West Bank.
Throughout the time that I lived in Israel/Palestine and since I have returned to the US, I have had misgivings about how to write about the more difficult aspects of life. It is, of course, easy to write the funny stories, the endearing stories and the adventure stories, but it is harder to know how to write about tragedies and injustices. It is tempting to put on a positive spin or to talk about how strong the people are. Indeed, since returning to the USA I have often found myself talking about how difficult life is in Palestine and then feeling the need to talk about how resilient the Palestinian people are. It bothers me. Of course, the people are resilient, but it seems to me that they should not have to be.
Kozol writes eloquently about this dilemma, "[Stories of resilience] have a reassuring quality that is not present
in most stories that one hears about the lives of children in the South
Bronx. Some preachers speak of situation of this kind as 'little
miracles,'... The trouble with miracles, however, is that they don't happen
for most children; and a good society cannot be built on miracles or on the likelihood that they will keep occurring.
There is also a degree of danger that, in emphasizing these unusual
relationships and holding up for praise the very special children who can
take advantage of them, without making clear how rare these situations
are, we may seem to be condemning those who don't have opportunities
like these or, if they do, cannot respond to them" (160). Stories of resilience are important because of the hope they contain, but they are exceptional and thereby simply not the case for the majority of people. I would hate for the children not perceived as "resilient" to be blamed for it.
In writing my blog, I want to keep optimistic and
tell stories of resilience, but I also fear that in always putting on a
positive spin or showing the strength of the people, I allow my readers
to get complacent. Indeed, I worry about letting myself get complacent.
Suffering in the world can, and should, make us uncomfortable. Like
Kozol, I worry that emphasizing stories of resilience allows us to
ignore the ways in which our comfortable lifestyles in the US contribute to and even cause the
suffering of others throughout the world.
On the other hand, I know that without a glimmer of hope, it is far too easy to drown in despair. One need only talk with someone suffering "burnout" in the social justice sector to know that you cannot dwell completely on suffering without some hope. In choosing the title of my blog, you may remember that I wanted to focus on hoping "for a great sea-change" and believing that "a further shore is reachable from here" in the midst of the pain and darkness in our world.
Perhaps the best thing we can do is to work hard to make something better. To align our gifts with the world's need. My YAGM family often quotes Frederick Buechner in his book Wishful Thinking, "The place God calls you to is where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." Do something you are passionate about in a way that meets some of the world's need. I think that might be about the best we can do.
Sara, I tried responding last week, but then lost the post when I signed in..so here goes again..and how things have changed (or become more visible) in that time. I really appreciate your struggle to both affirm the positive but also name the inequality and wrongs that also exist.That balance is important so thank you for naming both. Meanwhile, lets all work for ways to get more justice and equality and peace over there in that corner of the world (as well as here in ours)
ReplyDelete