Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dabke

Me in show choir circa 2007.
Last Saturday was the annual Al-Raja Dance Troupe performance. Al-Raja is the Dabke dance troupe from the Hope School, many of whom are my students. As I have mentioned before, dabke is the beautiful, traditional Palestinian dance. The students wore traditional Palestinian outfits and performed about a dozen different dances to a mix of traditional and more modern folk-style music. The show reminded me SO MUCH of my show choir days in high school. There was dancing, some singing, lots of cheering in the audience and everyone had a great time. I LOVE IT!

I'm so proud of my students for putting on such an amazing show. Dabke is an excellent part of Palestinian heritage and culture, and I'm happy to see it alive and well.

Please enjoy some photos from the show.

The opening of the dance performance.
Dabke
Spinning!
We used this in show choir too.

Check out the guy jumping on the far right. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment