It has been a whirlwind first 5 days in country! Our supervisors have kept us very busy this week with Arabic lessons, meetings, visiting Yad Vashem , lessons in using public transportation, learning about refugees, meeting conflict resolution organizations and various other forms of orientation. In the midst of so much business and busy-ness, my initial reactions are hard to describe.
The land itself is beautiful; full of dusty, reddish-brown hills covered in cream-colored, airy buildings. The dome of the rock is a beautiful and striking feature on the Jerusalem skyline; one of many, many holy spaces that fill this land. The sunsets are fiery and red, emanating a glow over the city. The sun is hot, but the breeze is refreshing. Today was the first day during which there was a single cloud in the sky. I come back to our flat with dusty feet and a sweaty brow but it is satisfying to gradually learn the land by walking it.
The people are welcoming and kind. Our host families seem eager to include us in their lives, which is an honor and a relief. Last night I was invited up for tea and cookies. At first it was just another volunteer, her host mother, little brother and I, but gradually the flat began to fill up as more and more family members appeared and greeted us. The volume and warmth in the flat grew as tea, stories and laughter were shared. Our host mother was careful to explain each joke to us and to have new family members introduce themselves. Even when the conversation was all in Arabic and far above my head, it was wonderful to feel the dancing warmth of sharing in a vibrant community.
Speaking of communities, there is a thriving ex-pat community of ELCA and like-minded individuals who meet for fellowship, potlucks and volleyball on Wednesdays. It was a joy to be welcomed into this community on Wednesday. Already, these people feel familiar and comforting; literally inviting us into their homes and lives. The house where we meet is beautiful and warm. It already feels like a place where I can comfortably be without worrying about all the doing that needs to happen, enjoying the support of this community.
There is an underlying tightness in this place due to the conflict. Sometimes the tension is explicit, but most of the time it sits just below the surface, where I can feel it but don't know quite what to make of it yet. Many things about this land do not make sense, often because they are part of this conflict.
That being said, human beings are resilient! In spite of tension, conflict, oppression, occupation, misunderstanding and pain, human beings continue to grow, live, love, have families, learn and laugh. I am impressed with the strength of these people and I hope to learn from them for a while in this place.
I do not yet have a steady source of internet access, so again, hold tight and be in peace!
Sara
Thank you, Sara! I love reading your blogs! I would probably feel the same about 'exact spots' of this or that, and would look to the faces of people.
ReplyDeleteDo you write poetry? You should try...I think you would be really good at putting some concise words around your experience and capturing emotions that way too!